ECIS International Teacher Certificate (ITC)
More and more schools around the world are becoming internationally-minded. These international schools have students who are culturally diverse. The students are also likely to be speakers of several languages. International school curricula are designed to help students develop skills, knowledge and qualities which will assist them in leading active, fulfilling and productive lives as citizens of a rapidly-changing world, in which intercultural skills are vital.
The role of the teacher, working in this context, is of crucial importance. The ECIS International Teacher Certificate (ITC) is an integrated, standards-based professional development programme. The ITC
- promotes excellence in teaching students in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment
- supports international learning communities focused on global awareness
- enriches the teaching repertoire through collaborative professional development
- enhances teachers’ competence through continuous reflection
- connects a growing network of ITC teachers and schools worldwide
- contributes to career development by attracting the interest of international school recruiters who regard the ITC as proof of professional excellence
- leads to master’s credit at US and Australian universities
- maintains a high standard of rigour and credibility because it is externally assessed by Cambridge.
The ECIS International Teacher Certificate at a glance
The ITC is a 14-month programme that features:
- ITC Institute - three days of intensive workshops hosted by ITC partner schools worldwide
- Support from an ITC mentor (approved by ECIS)
- Individual research and school-based practice supported by the ITC Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- The VLE hosts: an orientation course supervised by the ITC course leader; professional learning resources; and an online discussion forum offering peer learning and professional exchange through the network of ITC teachers worldwide
The ITC is assessed through a portfolio of practice-based evidence.
Where can the ITC be taken?
The ITC programme is provided by ECIS who arrange ITC Institutes each year in various parts of the world.
Find out more about the ECIS International Teacher Certificate, including how to apply to join the programme.
Learn more on the ECIS website