The process of letting us know which candidates will be taking which exam is known as making entries.
Before each series we email you to ask for your estimated entries for exams/assessments that take place before the main series starts. We use the estimated entries to work out the number of question papers and examination materials you will need for these early exams/assessments.
Working out your entries
It takes some time to gather all the information you need to make your entries. Work closely with subject teachers and heads of department to make sure you enter the right candidates for the right exams.
- Start the process of working out your entries at least two months before the deadline.
- Set and publish your own internal deadlines well in advance of ours so you have enough time to collect and submit all your entries.
- Display entry reminder posters to highlight your internal deadline to teachers.
- Give your teachers a template for their entry information along with an example of how to fill it in.
- Double check your entries with candidates and teachers before you submit them.
Watch our video to understand how the time you submit your entries determines when you will receive your question papers.
Ordering Question Papers
Making final entries
Submit your entries well in advance of the closing date so you have time to check them and submit any amendments before the deadline, avoiding any late entry fees.
For help with making entries download the Cambridge Guide to Making Entries which is available on CIE Direct. This guide takes you through all the available entry methods step-by-step and also includes information about entries for group awards.
View our online tutorials on making entries using the CIE Direct online entries system.
Using an alternative venue
You cannot use a venue other than your approved Centre to hold your exams unless you have our written permission to do so. If you want to use an alternative venue for some, or all of your candidates complete and return the ‘Using an alternative venue – Entries – Form 5’. You can download the form from the right-hand side of this page.
Download the relevant form to request a specific service from us.
For extra support take a look at our useful documents and links for this phase of the exam cycle.
Log in to CIE Direct, a secure Centre extranet website to help you administer CIE examinations.